American Samoa Senate
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The American Samoa Senate is the upper house of the American Samoa Fono. The Senate, like the lower House of Representatives, is a nonpartisan body. It is composed of 18 senators, serving a four-year term.
List of Senators
- Galea'i M. Tu'ufuli, Manu'a District 1
- NuanuaolefeagaigaT. Saoluaga, Manu'a District 1,
- Misaalefua J. Hudson, Manu'a District 2,
- Tauaa S. Vaouli, Saole District
- Gaoteote Palaie Tofau, Vaifanua District, President of the Senate
- Faamausili Mau Mau Jr, Sua District
- Muagututi'a M.T. Tauoa, Sua District
- Tilo Vasaga Tilo, Maoputasi District
- Tuaolo Fruean, Maoputasi District
- Fano Frank Shimasaki, Maoputasi District
- Alo Fa'auuga, Itu'au District
- Levu Solaita Levu Jr.,Itu'au District
- Magalei Logovi'i, Tualauta District
- Fonoti Tafaifa Aufata,Tualauta District
- Tuiagamoa T. Tavai, Leasina/Aitulagi District
- Satele Galu Satele, Tualatai District
- Faivae Alex Godinet, Fofo District
- Paepae Iosefa Faiai, Alataua District
- Utu Abe Malae (R)
- Tulifua Lam Yuen
- Liufau Sonoma – deceased August 4, 2009
- Fa'agata Manō Fa'agata-
- Uli Solomona – deceased July 22, 1980, served from 1973 to 1976, the revered High Chief from Aua Village, one of American Samoa's most highly decorated heroes, a World War II, Korean, and Vietnam veteran. Chief Uli is the recipient of the Nation's third-highest valor award the Silver Star, including awards of the Soldier's Medal, the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star with "V" device denoted by 2 bronze oak leaf clusters.
- Gaoteote Tofau, President of American Samoa Senate
- A.U. Fuimaono
- Seui Laau
- Togiola Tulafono – (D) former Governor, in office from 2003-2013
- Lualemaga Faoa
The American Samoa Senate is the only legislature of its kind in the entire United States, both state and territorial, that is not directly elected by the voting population. Instead, the Senate's voting franchise is strictly limited to the various chiefs of the islands.
2004 Legislative elections
|Senators elected by local chiefs||18|
|Total (turnout %)||18|
- The Legislature of the Territory of American Samoa, The 16th Legislature 4th Regular Session, Senate Concurrent Resolution (S.C.R.) No. 91, July 25, 1980.
- Military Times Hall of Valor http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=58155
- Uli, Teddy (Founder & President of Polynesian Legal Social Services Corp., Uli Solomona and Manatua Tilo's youngest son.)
- Modzelewski, Joe. "Uli's Eulogy." The Miami News 27 August 1980: 1C. Print.
- Sagapolutele, Fili. "Senator Seui passes away". Samoa News. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- "American Samoa".
- "american samoa". american samoa. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
|This legislature-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This American Samoa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|