Appleton West High School
|Appleton West High School|
|610 North Badger Avenue
Appleton, Wisconsin 54914
|Established||1915 (based at current location since 1938)|
|School district||Appleton Area School District|
|Color(s)||Orange and Blue|
|Athletics conference||Fox Valley Association|
The building housing Appleton West High School was originally Appleton Senior High School. From 1915 to 1938, the school was housed at what is now the Morgan Administrative Building (Appleton East High School was built in 1967, the school was renamed Appleton West. Appleton West has an enrollment of approximately 1350 students. The mascot is the Terror, a cross between a wolf and a fox, as the school is situated in between the Wolf and Fox Rivers. The principal is Mark McQuade.). In 1938, the current facility was built. After
The school houses two charter schools: Renaissance School of the Arts and Appleton Technical Academy.
In 1992, the varsity football team won the Division 1 State Championship. The baseball team has won the state title seven times (1975, 1976, 1982, 1988, 1991, 1995, and 2004). Also, in 1969-70, an undefeated Terror basketball team won the state championship.
In August 2014 the school dedicated a new football stadium on school grounds. Home football games are played at Lawrence University's Banta Bowl. This will continue until the school can build enough seating according to FVA regulations on school grounds. The team has previously played home games at Goodland Field, Einstein Middle School, Appleton North High School, and Appleton East High School.
- John Bradley, helped raise the flag at Iwo Jima during World War II
- Brian Butch, professional basketball player with the Denver Nuggets
- Donald Dafoe transplant surgeon
- Willem Dafoe, actor
- John Francis Doerfler, Roman Catholic bishop
- Catherine Ebert-Gray, United States diplomat
- Matt Erickson, major league baseball player, manager of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- William Beverly Murphy, former CEO Campbell Soup Company
- Daniel J. Piette, 1975, president and CEO of OpenSpirit Corporation
- David Prosser, Jr., Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Kathi Seifert, former executive vice-president of Kimberly-Clark
- "Appleton West's Rest of the Story". Appleton West. West Corporation. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "West History". Appleton West High School. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Appleton schools Supt. Allinger to retire". Appleton Post-Crescent. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "WIAA State Football Champions" (PDF).
- "WIAA State Baseball Champions" (PDF).
- "WIAA Basketball Champions" (PDF).
- Behnke, Duke (17 October 2016). "Appleton West needs more seating for football games". Post-Crescent Media. Gannet. Post Crescent. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Froberg, Tim. "West to dedicate new football stadium Friday". Post Crescent. Retrieved 27 October 2014.