Janel Brandtjen is an American businesswoman and politician.
From Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, Brandjten received her bachelor's degree in finance and marketing from University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee and is the owner of an advertising agency. Brandtjen served on the Waukesha County Board of Supervisors and is a Republican. On November 4, 2014, Brandtjen was elected to the Wisconsin State Assembly.
Response to Milwaukee armed carjackings
On June 1, 2016, at 1 p.m., suspects armed with a handgun stole a car from an older woman in the city of Milwaukee. Just after midnight, police spotted the car and began a 20 mile high-speed chase that ended on foot in Richfield. Around 4:45 a.m., following a citizen report, and using police dogs, five juveniles were arrested.
On June 7, 2016, Brandtjen issued a press release in response to a Milwaukee car chase ending in neighboring Washington County. She stated "Families were forced to unlock their gun cabinets and instruct their loved ones to shoot to kill" and that she "will be openly advocating for funding cuts to Milwaukee unless steps are taken to dramatically cut crime in Milwaukee". Opinion articles responded that her statements were representative of a larger divide between Milwaukee and suburbs. Democratic State Legislators called her comments "dangerous rhetoric", "irresponsible", and "Donald Trump style fear mongering". In response, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke "ripped the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's coverage of Tuesday's statement... claim[ing] the coverage 'cues up race politics'" and Rep. Bob Gannon thanked Brandtjen for "speaking out and demanding action to stop this violence."
- Wisconsin Vote.org.-Janel Brandtjen
- Current Election Results
- Vielmetti, Bruce (2016-06-02). "Arrests in latest Milwauke carjacking bring sharp resonse from Mayor". JSOnline. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Kaplan, James Kust, Jonah (2016-06-08). "State representative Janel Brandtjen calls for funding cuts to Milwaukee over crime rate". TMJ4. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "State Representative Janel Brandtjen calls for funding cuts to Milwaukee until policies change". UrbanMilwaukee.com. 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "It's not hard to read between the lines". jsonline.com. 2016-06-08. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "GOP rep uses racist code in threat to cut Milwaukee funding". Wisconsin Gazette. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "Lawmaker blames Tom Barrett for crime spilling into suburbs". jsonline.com. 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "Clarke, Gannon defend Brandtjen for speaking out on Milwaukee violence". Retrieved 2016-12-09.
|This article about a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|