This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nancy Leveson gained her degrees (in computer science, mathematics and management) from UCLA, including her PhD in 1980. Previously she worked at University of California, Irvine and the University of Washington as a faculty member. She has studied safety-critical systems such as the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) for the avoidance of midair collisions between aircraft and problems with the Therac-25 radiation therapy machine.
Nancy Leveson is Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics and also Professor of Engineering Systems at MIT. She is an elected member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE). Prof. Leveson conducts research on the topics of system safety, software safety, software and system engineering, and human-computer interaction. In 1999, she received the ACM Allen Newell Award for outstanding computer science research and in 1995 the AIAA Information Systems Award for "developing the field of software safety and for promoting responsible software and system engineering practices where life and property are at stake." In 2005 she received the ACM Sigsoft Outstanding Research Award. She has published over 200 research papers and is author of two books, "Safeware: System Safety and Computers" published in 1995 by Addison-Wesley and "Engineering a Safer World" published in 2012 by MIT Press. She consults extensively in many industries on the ways to prevent accidents.
- Erik Hollnagel, David D. Woods, Nancy Leveson, Resilience Engineering: Concepts and Precepts. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., 2007. ISBN 978-0-754-68136-6.
- Nancy G. Leveson, Safeware: System Safety and Computers. Addison-Wesley, 1995. ISBN 0-201-11972-2.
- Nancy G. Leveson, Engineering a Safer World: Systems Thinking Applied to Safety. MIT Press, 2011. ISBN 978-0-262-01662-9.
- Nancy Leveson: Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
- "Medical Devices: The Therac-25". ResearchGate. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- Nancy Leveson: MIT department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Nancy Leveson's Home Page at MIT
- Nancy G. Leveson at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Medical Devices - Therac 25
|This article about an American scientist in academia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|