|Developer(s)||Alistair Crooks, Hubert Feyrer and Johnny C. Lam|
2017Q1 / March 30, 2017
|Written in||C, sh|
pkgsrc (package source) is a package management system for Unix-like operating systems. It was forked from the FreeBSD ports collection in 1997 as the primary package management system for NetBSD. Since then it has evolved independently: in 1999, support for Solaris was added, later followed by support for other operating systems. DragonFly BSD, from release 1.4 to 3.4, used pkgsrc as its official packaging system. MINIX 3 and the Dracolinux distribution both include pkgsrc in their main releases. SmartOS is another operating system using pkgsrc as the main form of package management.
There are multiple ways to install programs using pkgsrc. The pkgsrc bootstrap contains a traditional ports collection that utilizes a series of makefiles to compile software from source. Another method is to install pre-built binary packages via the pkg_add and pkg_delete tools. A high-level utility named pkgin also exists, and is designed to automate the installation, removal, and update of binary packages in a manner similar to APT or yum.
pkgsrc currently contains over 17000 packages (over 20000 including work-in-progress packages maintained outside the official tree) and includes most popular open source software. It now supports around 23 operating systems, including AIX, various BSD derivatives, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, macOS, Solaris, and QNX.
Platforms supported by pkgsrc
|Platform||Date Support Added|
|Darwin and macOS||October 2001|
|Interix (for Windows NT)||March 2004|
|MINIX 3||August 2010|
- "10 years of pkgsrc - pkgsrc and the concepts of package management 1997-2007 (part 1)". www.netbsd.org. The NetBSD Foundation. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- Dillon, Matthew. "PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release". DragonFly users mailing list.
- "This release features kernel 3.0.57, Glibc 2.11.3, GCC 4.4.7, OSS 4.2 and pkgsrc 2012Q3". DracoLinux.
- "pkgin, a binary package manager for pkgsrc".
- "Announcing the pkgsrc-2016Q2 Branch".
- Official website
- A web interface for pkgsrc
- pkgsrc-wip – a project to get more people actively involved with pkgsrc
- pkgsrcCon: An annual conference focusing on pkgsrc