Phil Spencer (business executive)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||January 12, 1968 (age 49)|
|Alma mater||University of Washington|
|Occupation||Head executive of Microsoft's Xbox division|
|Title||Executive Vice President of Gaming|
Phil Spencer is an American business executive, who is the Executive Vice President of Gaming at Microsoft. He is currently the head of the Xbox brand and leads the global creative and engineering teams responsible for gaming at Microsoft.
Spencer joined Microsoft in 1988 as an intern and has worked in a number of technical roles, leading the development of Microsoft's first CD-ROM-based titles (such as Encarta), development manager for Microsoft Money, and general manager of Microsoft's online and offline consumer productivity products including Microsoft Works and Microsoft Picture It! 
Spencer served as general manager of Microsoft Game Studios EMEA, working with Microsoft's European developers and studios such as Lionhead Studios and Rare until 2008, when he became the general manager of Microsoft Studios, eventually becoming the studio's corporate vice president a year later. He has participated in Microsoft's E3 conferences since 2010.
Shortly after his appointment, in an interview with Larry Hryb, Spencer stated that there were some wrong decisions regarding the direction of the Xbox One and that the console would focus more on video games instead of general entertainment. In September 2017, Spencer was promoted to the Senior Leadership Team, gaining the title of Executive Vice President of Gaming within the company. He reports directly to CEO Satya Nadella.
- "Phil Spencer". Xbox.com. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Kinect Accelerator Mentor: Phil Spencer". Microsoft. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Welcome Phil Spencer, Microsoft's New Xbox-Everything Honcho". Time. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "E3 2010: Phil Spencer interview". The Telegraph. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Phil Spencer E3 2011 Interview". G4tv. 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "E3 2012: Phil Spencer Post-Conference Interview". 2012-06-05. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "E3 2013: Phil Spencer Talks Xbox One Lineup". GameTrailers. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Satya Nadella email to employees on tuning our organization". Microsoft. 2014-03-31. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Phil Spencer admits Microsoft made 'wrong decisions' with Xbox One and pushes 'gaming first' strategy". The Next Web. 2014-04-04. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Weinberger, Matt. "Microsoft Xbox boss Phil Spencer just got a big promotion, and will now report directly to CEO Satya Nadella". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 19 September 2017.