The Brink (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||June 21– August 23, 2015|
The Brink is an American television comedy created by brothers Roberto Benabib and Kim Benabib. It focuses on a geopolitical crisis in Pakistan. Before cancellation, the show was conceived so that each season would follow a different crisis somewhere in the world involving the same main characters. The pilot episode was written by the Benabib brothers and directed by Jay Roach.
The series premiered on June 21, 2015 on the American cable television network HBO. The Brink was initially renewed for a second season while the first season was still airing. HBO later reversed its order and cancelled the series after just one season.
- Jack Black as Alex Talbot, a lowly Foreign Service Officer assigned to the Embassy of the United States, Islamabad
- Tim Robbins as United States Secretary of State Walter Larson
- Pablo Schreiber as Lieutenant Commander Zeke "Z-Pak" Tilson, a drug-dealing United States Naval Aviator on the Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier USS Ulysses S. Grant
- Aasif Mandvi as Rafiq Massoud, a Pakistani employed by the U.S. Embassy.
- Maribeth Monroe as Kendra Peterson, Walter's assistant
- Eric Ladin as Lieutenant Glenn "Jammer" Taylor, Zeke's backseater
- Geoff Pierson as United States Secretary of Defense Pierce Gray
- Esai Morales as President of the United States Julian Navarro
- Mimi Kennedy as CIA Director Susan Buckley
- Jaimie Alexander as Lieutenant Gail Sweet, a public affairs officer on the Grant whom Zeke has impregnated
- Melanie Chandra as Fareeda Massoud, Rafiq's younger sister
- Mary Faber as Ashley, Zeke's pharmacist ex-wife and drug supplier
- Meera Syal as Naeema, Rafiq's mother
- Joey Martin as Captain Stephens
- Carla Gugino as Joanne Larson, Walter's wife, United States Department of Defense general counsel and aspiring federal judge
- John Larroquette as Robert Kittredge, the evangelical United States Ambassador to Pakistan
- Rex Linn as Rear Admiral (upper half) McBride, commander of the Grant carrier battle group
- Iqbal Theba as General Umair Zaman, a Pakistani general who stages a military coup
- Rob Brydon as Martin
- Michelle Gomez as Vanessa
- Bernard White as General Haroon Raja, Director General of Inter-Services Intelligence and Umair's half brother
- Iris Bahr as Israeli Foreign Minister Talia Levy
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||"Pilot"||Jay Roach||Roberto Benabib & Kim Benabib||June 21, 2015||1.60|
|2||"Half-Cocked"||Tim Robbins||Roberto Benabib & Kim Benabib||June 28, 2015||1.26|
|3||"Baghdad My Ass"||Jon Poll||Roberto Benabib & Kim Benabib||July 5, 2015||1.17|
|4||"I'll Never Be Batman"||Michael Lehmann||Dave Holstein||July 12, 2015||0.99|
|5||"Swim, Shmuley, Swim"||J. Michael Muro||Jack Kukoda||July 19, 2015||1.06|
|6||"Tweet Tweet Tweet"||Michael Lehmann||Sam Forman||July 26, 2015||0.97|
|7||"Sticky Wicket"||Scott Winant||Aasif Mandvi||August 2, 2015||1.00|
|8||"Who's Grover Cleveland?"||Michael Lehmann||Wes Jones||August 9, 2015||0.89|
|9||"Just a Little Crazy Talk"||Adam Bernstein||Roberto Benabib, Kim Benabib & Dave Holstein||August 16, 2015||0.94|
|10||"There Will Be Consequences"||Michael Lehmann||Roberto Benabib, Kim Benabib & Dave Holstein||August 23, 2015||0.87|
The Brink received mixed reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a rating of 53%, based on 36 reviews, with an average rating of 5.7/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Brink avoids disaster thanks to the game efforts of a talented cast, but they - and viewers - deserve political satire with a sharper bite." Metacritic gives the first season a score of 52 out of 100, based on reviews from 30 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
IGN reviewer Amber Dowling gave the entire first season an 8.0 out of 10 'Great' score, saying that "after a rough first couple of episodes the actors settled into their characters and viewers grew more comfortable with the tone. Quick and surprising plot twists coupled with strong on-screen pairings eventually resulted in a fun summer romp with plenty of potential."
In Australia, the series premiered on July 7, 2015, on Showcase. In India and Pakistan, the series premiered on June 22, 2015, on HBO Defined HD. In Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East and North Africa, the series premiered on November 11, 2015, on Orbit Showtime Network (OSN).
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 11, 2014). "HBO Gives Series Order To Comedy Pilot 'The Brink' Starring Jack Black & Tim Robbins, From Jay Roach & Jerry Weintraub". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Pedersen, Erik (April 9, 2015). "HBO Launching Comedies 'The Brink' & 'Ballers' With 'True Detective' In June". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "'The Brink' Renewed for Season 2 by HBO". Variety. July 21, 2015. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 27, 2015). "'The Brink' Not Going Forward With Season 2 At HBO". Deadline. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- "Jack Black/Tim Robbins Comedy 'The Brink' Premieres on HBO This Summer". Splitsider.com. Splitsider.com. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ship name revealed in episode "Half-Cocked," class determined by hull number of CVN-82
- Andreeva, Marshall Manesh. "Esai Morales Joins HBO Comedy Pilot 'The Brink' As Regular, Will Play POTUS". Deadline.com.
- The Deadline Team (August 13, 2014). "Carla Gugino Joins HBO's 'The Brink'". Deadline. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- "HBO's Jack Black Comedy Series Adds 'Gavin and Stacey,' 'Doctor Who' Actors". The Hollywood Reporter. September 5, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 23, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Detective' Wins Night, 'Ballers', 'Naked and Afraid', 'The Last Ship' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 30, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: BET Awards Tops Night + 'True Detective', 'Ballers', 'Naked and Afraid' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 8, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: Shark Week Wins Night, 'True Detective', ' Ballers', 'The Last Ship', 'Botched', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 14, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Naked and Afraid XL' Wins Night, 'True Detective', 'Basketball Wives', 'Ballers', 'The Strain' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (July 21, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Naked and Afraid XL' Wins Night, 'True Detective', 'Ballers', 'The Strain', 'The Last Ship', 'Tut' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 28, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'I am Cait' Tops Night + 'Naked & Afraid XL', 'Rick & Morty', 'True Detective', NASCAR, 'Ballers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (August 4, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Rick and Morty' & 'Naked and Afraid XL', Win Night, 'True Detective', 'The Last Ship', 'Ballers', 'The Strain', 'Ray Donovan' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 11, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Detective' Tops Night + 'Naked and Afraid XL', 'Rick & Morty', 'Ballers', & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (August 18, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Naked and Afraid XL' Wins Night, 'Rick & Morty', 'Ballers', 'The Last Ship', 'The Strain', 'Ray Donovan' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 25, 2015). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Fear the Walking Dead' Tops Night + 'Talking Dead', 'Naked & Afraid', 'Rick & Morty', & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "The Brink (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 22, 2015.
- "The Brink: Season 1 reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- Amber Dowling (September 1, 2015). "The Brink: Season 1 Review". IGN. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Duck Dynasty, The Brink, Finding Carter, A Place To Call Home and live sport". The Green Room. July 3, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "HBO Defined brings two new comedy series". Indiantelevision.com.